Chongguei Tianbao Hall
There are two stories about the origin of the place name Chongguei. According to one, during the Qing Dynasty the local Aborigines frequently hunted heads along the Shueishalian Historic Trail and the Qing court stationed a company of militia soldiers there to protect travelers. The soldiers set up an arsenal that was called Chongguei, or "Weapons Cabinet". According to the other story, after China ceded Taiwan to Japan in 1895 the people who lived around Sun Moon Lake set up defenses in the area to resist occupation by the Japanese, and so the place came to be called Chongguei.
The impressive Tianbao Hall was built during the Japanese occupation for the purpose of worshipping three deities: Guan Gong, the God of War; the immortal Lyu Dong-bin; and the hearth god, Zao Wang. In the autumn of 1985,General Taizih received divine orders to garrison and protect Tianbao Hall, and the gods of the temple instructed their devotees to build a six jhang (a jhang is slightly more than 10 feet), two feet, and seven inch statue of Taizih to glorify his exploits in protecting the people. The tall statue has become a landmark of Chongguei.
Opening Hours: 24h
How to Get ThereChoose a transportation method based on your departure location.