During World War II, the Japanese stole Xuanzang's remains from Nanjing. They were enshrined and worshipped at the Jion-ji Temple in Japan's Saitama Prefecture. In 1955, the remains were taken to Taiwan, where they were enshrined and worshipped at Xuanguang Temple, located next to Sun Moon Lake. After Xuanzang Temple was completed in November 1965, the remains were relocated there.
Syuentzang Temple is built in the Tang Dynasty architectural style, and the square bricks on the ground create a smooth and unadorned appearance. Inside the temple is a horizontal board with the words “national treasure”, written by President Chiang Kai-shek. On the outer walls of the temple are carvings of Master Xuanzang during his travels to the west. There are also three stele inscriptions. The left stele commemorates the friendship between the Chinese and Japanese. The middle provides a life history of Master Xuanzang. The right stele commemorates friendly Buddhist exchanges between the Chinese and Japanese. In addition, there are two revered stone statues in front of the door. In front of the temple is a large drum, and when ascending the steps, one can see a bell and mallet used to wake people.
Opening Hours: 5:00 A.M. ~ 5:00 P.M.
Links: Offical Site
How to Get ThereChoose a transportation method based on your departure location.