MingTan 3 Mountains Certification
Rules of Certification
Period of Certification: 2020/7/10~2020/9/30
3 steps of Certification:
Exclusive gifts for certification
Exclusive gift 1
- The first 500 certified hikers will receive an exclusive wooden badge of honor for completing the challenge
- which is customized with the hiker’s name by laser carving
- Exchange location: Atunas Taiwan Outdoor Center
- Tel: +886-49-2861723
- Add: No.18, Chonggui Ln., Yuchi Township, Nantou County 555, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
- Each person can exchange one badge only
Exclusive gift 2
- After the end of the activity on 30th Sep., a number of gifts will be given by online lottery to those lucky ones.
Routes of Certification
Introduction of certified photo spots
MingTan 3 mountains - Mt. Maolan
1020 m above sea level
Hiking trip: 2.8 km in length, about 2 hours round trip
Starting from Arai Kokichiro's monument, the father of tea-leaf in Sun Moon Lake, winding up along the black tea stairs, you will see the tea garden scenery, Japanese-style dormitories, ancient tea factory, Ceylon-olive Elaeocarpus trail and Taiwan cedar trees. Insects and birds sing all the way. At the peak, there’s the Sun Moon Lake Weather Station, the 3rd highest in Taiwan, which is the best place to view the Jiufen mountains, Jiji Great Mountain and Puli basins.., etc. All the wonderful views can be taken in at a glance.
MingTan 3 mountains - Shuishe Great Mountain
2059 m above sea level
Hiking trip: 5.5 km in length, about 8 hours round trip
Standing at the east of Sun Moon Lake, Shuishe Great Mountain is at its first position among “MingTan 4 Beautiful Spots.” Starting from the Youth Activity Center of Sun Moon Lake, you can deeply feel the varied forest landscape by walking through the broad-leaf forest, Mao bamboo forest and Taiwan Rhododendron forest. The beautiful Monotropa uniflora can be seen along the way, as well as the lake and the mountains from different angles at the landscape viewing platforms.
MingTan 3 mountains-Mt. Houjian
1008 m above sea level
Hiking trip: 1.2 km in length, about 1.5 hours round trip
Located south of the Toushe basin, Mt. Houjian stands firmly and straight. The trail begins from the Toushe Buddhist Hall and it offers a challenging walk at last. Standing at the summit, you can view the lake, Jiji Great Mountain and Zhuoshui River, that locals call "Wang Gao Liao Lookout Point.” It has rich ecology along the way and has one of the world's three rare peat soil basins at the foot of the mountain. When dancing on the basin, you can feel the vibration from the earth, shaking like a mambo dance. Toushe basin is rich in loofah, white radish, orange day lily and other high-quality agricultural fruits. Farmers are committed to providing safe products and thus Toushe is given the title of “Green Platinum Quality Rural Area.”
Please note that the photos must either be taken with the Sun Moon Lake Event Booklet or Mobile Official Webpage in order to qualify for the certification.
- 1No matter which route you choose, you should be led by a guide
- 2Have appropriate equipment (clothing, shoes, hat, dry food, road map, flashlight, personal medicine, etc.)
- 3Stay on an existing path in order to avoid getting lost and to reduce the environmental damage
- 4Follow the road signs. If there is no sign, try not to leave unnecessary signs.
- 5Be aware of foggy weather and showers in summertime, and the slippery roads in winter.
- 6It’s breeding season of hornets from June to November. They can be frightened easily and sting people. Be careful.
- 7It is strictly prohibited to walk away from the trail, take shortcuts or leave the team behind too far.
- 8Cooking by fire is strictly forbidden in the mountains to avoid forest fires.
- 9Please don't litter and take it with you until you leave
- 10Stay calm when lost, avoid moving quickly at night, keep your energy and keep your mobile phone on
“Mayday” tips from mobile phone
Enable GOOGLE Map app
Click on your current location
Share your location
Send to your emergency contacts